Monday, April 22, 2013

My Entry for the Bento&Co contest 2013 + Pesto Recipe

I almost didn't make it *gulp* because I forgot until last evening that the deadline is today 1059am Singapore time. Hence, I spent the whole night having nightmares that I couldn't complete it and the day was overcast (bad photos). Argh.

Here's the final product, which I started on immediately after sending the kids to school.


Featuring Fusili with homemade pesto, topped with arctic surf clams and grilled prawns. In the tier on the right, there are some beancurd wrapped chicken, charred capsicum and edamame. The fruits section consists of some strawberries and grape bunnies.

After I sent the email off, I heaved a HUGE sigh of relief d:)

Recipe for Cheeseless Pesto
Ingredients:
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts (or walnuts)
3 cloves garlic
1 tsp salt
3 cups packed basil leaves
1/2 cup parsley leaves (optional, helps retain green colour)
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (or more if necessary)

Method:
Throw everything into the bowl of a food processor and run it till the contents reach a paste consistency. Transfer to a clean, dry glass jar, making sure there is a layer of oil on the top to prevent browning.

Note: I didn't add any traditional grated Parmesan cheese, partly to prolong the shelf life of the pesto in the fridge, but mainly because my #3 is allergic to most dairy, including cheese. With this recipe, he can eat it, and the salt content has been increased for better flavour. I sometimes have some Parmesan on the side for the others to sprinkle on if they want.

And here's Roast Meat's simple bento for today - a bakery bun he chose for himself yesterday, some grapes and chocolate fingers.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful bento for the contest! The grapes bunnies are so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Li Ming! Nowhere near good enough to get into the top 20 though d:(

      Didn't you enter??

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...