Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Teriyaki Salmon Udon Bento

It may seem surprising since I cook Japanese meals so much of the time, but I've never made Teriyaki Salmon before, although the chicken version appears every now and then. I finally decided to try it out today, by using my teriyaki sauce recipe on some lovely, fresh salmon steaks from a whole fish I bought a few days ago.


This was Roast Meat's lunch - panfried salmon teriyaki with udon, cuke sticks and grapes. The udon was tossed in some leftover fish marinade which I boiled and simmered for about 5 mins to boil off the alcohol content. The tot and I had a few leftover udon noodles, and gosh, was it yummy!

Recipe for Salmon Teriyaki
500g salmon steaks
2 tbsp mirin
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp sugar

Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl, cover with clingwrap and refrigerate for at least 1/2 hour to allow the marinade to penetrate the fish. Remove from fridge let sit on counter for at least 10 min before cooking.
Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium-low heat and brush the surface with a little oil.
Place salmon skin side down, cover and cook about 3 min. Flip steaks and continue cooking another minute or two. Remove from heat and let sit for 5 min. 
Meanwhile, bring the rest of the marinade to a boil, reduce to simmer for about 5 min. Pour over fish or toss with udon.


This hodge-podge bento was RM's recess and is here purely for my reference.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...