Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Tamagoyaki Pans Revisited

I previously shared about my Tamagoyaki Pan from Daiso which had been serving me well once I got the hang of the temperature control. Well, I'm sorry to say that after about one and a half months of shelving it (school holidays, didn't make tamagoyaki), it RUSTED. 

Because the silicone coating is unbelieveably thin, I scraped through it in a few areas, and over time, the exposed iron underneath (I certainly do not believe it's steel) rusted. So much for a $2 pan.

You'd think I'd have learnt my lesson but NO! I got another one, the same, from Daiso again... because I need a rectangular pan to make my tamagoyaki!! And I can't go back to round pans.

Thankfully, before I had the chance to let history repeat itself, I found a better one (although still not perfect, as I shall explain later) at Isetan today. And here are the two pans, side by side, for comparison.

Tamagoyaki pans of opposite quality and price

The ASD pan cost $10.90 (offer price from $29.90), which I chose over an Endo one that was $13.90. I'm cheapskate, I admit it. I've already tried it this evening, and the result is below.

Lovely Noritama made in my new pan
I certainly didn't have to fight so hard this time to get it right! My only grouse is, and it's important, that it's standard teflon-coated. However, I only make tamagoyaki for bentos about once in every two weeks, so I'm telling myself that the PFOAs are only very occasional. The only other teflon-coated cookware I have is my muffin pan, which only sees the light of day once in a blue moon.

My dream tamagoyaki pan would be ceramic-coated nonstick, but unfortunately, Japan hasn't really caught up with the nonstick ceramic technology yet (I may just be ignorant, please correct me if so). Meantime, is anyone going to Japan? Please carry back for me a copper tamagoyaki pan d:)

The tamagoyaki in the picture above has been packed into tomorrow's bentos.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...