Monday, August 27, 2012

Char siew rice 叉烧饭

Here's another planned leftover bento. I decided to cook Chinese style grilled pork for dinner last night (aka char siew fan or 叉烧饭) so from marketing to marinating to cooking, it was a double batch. Roast Meat was pleased indeed to hear that he'd be bringing this to school today for recess!


I added cuke sticks and longans to complete the meal. He tells me that these days, he and his friends just sit at the table after eating and chat, so there's no excuse for a "discount". He's always famished when he gets home after school!

My char siew is based on a YouTube video uploaded by mamabliss, except I eyeball it and make some substitutions based on whatever I have at hand and whatever is more economical for me. Here's the vid:


My changes:
pork shoulder/collar, cut into long strips
shaoxing wine or huatiaojiu 花雕酒
omit black soy sauce, oyster sauce, sugar (unless I'm in the mood or remember to add)

I used my Happycall pan, just because it's the right size and shape for my pork, and I don't flip the pan, but I flip my pork after every 5 min. Hubby says it reminds him of the char siew his mum used to buy for him from somewhere near his childhood home. I do prefer this recipe over my mum's (from maternal grandfather who used to sell this and BBQ pork 烧肉 at the market).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...